Connie & Fraser Grant, Brokers with REMAX Centre City Realty Inc. Brokerage.
We offer timely information on topics relating to condominiums and residential real estate.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
The Basics of Transporting a Vehicle
The Basics of Transporting a Vehicle
For many families, a car is the second largest investment they have ever made. Getting that investment safely to a new home is an important component of a smooth move.
What are my options for transporting a vehicle? A vehicle can be moved with your household goods or with a separate auto transport company. To ship your car most efficiently and cost-effectively, it's important to know about the different shipping options, such as open and closed trailers.What is an open trailer? An open trailer is the more popular and frequently used trailer. It carries anywhere from 10-12 vehicles at a time.
Advantage: Open trailers are less expensive than closed trailers. The cost is determined by the weight of the vehicle.
Disadvantage: Open trailers are subject to the elements (i.e. rain, snow, wind, dirt and dust).
What is a closed trailer? A closed trailer is a vehicle that has a covered freight area. It is commonly used for shipping expensive or classic cars. If you wish to protect your car from wind-blown sand and heat, this is your best option.
Advantage: The car is well protected from the elements of nature.
Disadvantage: Closed trailers cost more.
Is my car insured? The company that transports your vehicle(s) should provide adequate insurance to protect against driver negligence. Ask for a copy of the "Certificate of Insurance" and familiarize yourself with the types of coverage provided. Consult with your current auto insurance agent to determine whether you need supplemental coverage.
Turning your vehicle over to the carrier. Prior to handing over your car to a driver or transport company, be sure you receive an "Original Inspection Report." This report provides: pick-up and delivery information, current mileage, and most importantly, shows the condition of your car at time of pick-up (pre-existing scratches and dents, cracked glass/mirrors, general paint condition, etc.).
Accepting your vehicle for delivery. At the time of delivery, inspect your vehicle thoroughly and compare the condition and mileage against the "Original Inspection Report." Many transport companies also provide a copy of this report at time of delivery. If there are discrepancies, note them as exceptions and be sure the driver signs it. NEVER accept your vehicle at night if you cannot verify the report condition and without being signed by the driver.
If you would like to discuss move options for your vehicle or household goods give The Move Advocate a call! Our Advocates are standing by to assist.
Our Service Mission
Let's get right to the point. This is not the "Great I Am" site. We are putting our values in writing for your review & consideration. They define our purpose & commitments. Below are seven reasons you should choose The Grants for all your London real estate needs:
1. PREFERENTIAL SERVICE: We promise to treat you like the special individual you are.
2. NO CONFLICTS OF INTEREST: We are unencumbered by the constraints of self-interest & sales quotas.
3. COMMITTED TO OUR COMMUNITY: We will treat you like a good neighbor should.
4. HONESTY, INTEGRITY & STRAIGHT TALK: We have your, & only your interests in mind.
5. ALL THE BEST TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU: We maintain a membership in the local MLS. As a buyer, you have access to hundreds of properties listed through this service. As a seller, your property will be presented constantly to hundreds of Realtors to show & sell.
6. ADVISE & CONSENT: We listen to your needs & offer opinions to benefit you.
7. TESTIMONIALS: We think you deserve to know what past clients have to say about our conduct. Visit our website review.
We look forward to beginning a new journey in real estate investments together.